Points to consider when looking at installing SQL on Server Core
You can install SQL 2012 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or Windows Server 2012. You cannot use the installation wizard you need to use the command prompt. For more info see this article.
- Upgrades of SQL are not supported
- Reportings services is not supported
- SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) are not supported
- Books online is not supported
- Client Tools Backward Compatibility is not supported
- Client Tools SDK is not supported
- Distributed Replay Controller – nope
- Master Data Services – not on core
- Data Quality Services – also a no go
Obviously the management tools are only supported remotely.